View Single Post
Old 10-06-21, 04:24 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Helderberg I'm kind of confused. I'm going to present some questions and if you like you can answer them.

1. When you say crown, are you talking about the saddle being taller at its middle, than at its sides? This contour can only really be seen by looking from the rear of the saddle, with you eye even with the upper surface of the saddle.

2. Are you sure your weight is not being borne by the steel cantle plate which forms the back of the saddle? Looking at it from underneath, it curls out from the middle and forward to end in front of the widest part of the saddle. It's a big letter C.

3. What is the Specialized saddle you tried in the past, and what was the width?

4. Does your bike use drop handlebars? How high are they relative to the saddle height, i.e 1" higher? 1" lower? What position of the bars do you normally ride in?

5. How do you determine the correct saddle height?

6. What seating position do you normally ride in? If you are bent forward to grasp the drops of the handlebars, that is a much deeper lean than if you are nearly upright.

7. When you get on the bike, first sit on the saddle, and start pedaling, do you find yourself sliding forward?

If when you spoke about saddles being too narrow, you were really thinking about crowning. Is it really true that your saddle is too narrow?

Last edited by Road Fan; 10-06-21 at 04:28 PM.