Old 10-07-21, 05:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I like the Park Tool vidio method better, they just give a little extra bend when inserting the spoke into the hub as shown in their video at 5:15.
The Park method of lacing is what I use and teach. It’s easier to keep track of the spokes. The other method uses key spokes and a whole lot of counting. I only have to count one spoke and that one isn’t all that important. As I tell my students

Hold the hub in the center of the rim with the spokes hanging down. If you are OCD or if you have bicycle mechanic friends and want to avoid ridicule, selection of the first spoke is (marginally) important. OCD mechanics want to have the label of the hub visible through the valve stem hole of the rim. To accomplish this, find the label on the hub and count 4 spokes holes (i.e. 2 spokes) to the right of the label. Select this spoke (which from now on will be referred to as the No.1 spoke) and put it through the first hole to the left of the valve hole. Attach its nipple a couple of turns.
To form the spokes to the hub, I prefer to use a lever. That bends the spokes on top and bottom. I use an old crank arm. I’ve used screwdrivers in the past but that can gouge the spokes. Aluminum is softer.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: