View Single Post
Old 10-09-21, 11:32 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by scale View Post
I have never ran those style bars for very long. I never liked the odd bend. I should really give them more of a chance. Surely they are that way for a reason. Aesthetics cant be one of them. They just look goofy. Ive never understood those rando bars i guess.
back when those bars were common, it was also common for short'ish quill stems. i want to say 160-180mm in height? so, the upward bend was to sell the idea of greater comfort to general riders and the touring crowd as it allowed one sit up a little higher to see environment. more so over the classic maes bend bars, anyway.. why they tended to be so narrow at the tops is beyond me. i have some nitto rando bars badged for takara that are about 40cm from top to top. not bad, but i could stand them a little wider. 42-44cm is what i'm used to