View Single Post
Old 10-12-21, 02:15 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 270 Posts
Youse all got me curious so I did a walk-about in the garage. I have 4 SR Road Champions. They suit me just fine. I ride all the positions.

I also have 4 randonneur style bars. The Fuji has SR engraved bars, with the "proper" truncated randonneur spelling and the other 3 are from Schwinns and a Ross. They look the same as the SR bars but have no engraving.

As to the "weird" bend to the randonneur bars, I have and idea. I have a large randonneur style front bag for the Fuji. If I had Road Champion style bars the drops would be right up against the sides of the bag. The slight flair outwards on the randonneur bars allow me to comfortably ride the drops. I also like the slight flair out of the bars on the ramps where my levers are. I suppose the outward flair also keeps the ramps away from my forearms when I'm in the drops. Thats never bothered me when I'm on the Road Champions though. All my bars would be considered too narrow by todays standards but for me are pretty comfortable.

I had proper 44cm wide bars on my Cannondale for a while. After riding my narrow C&V bars the Cannondale always felt like I was riding a Gravely rototiller. I dumped the 44s and installed Road Champions.