Old 10-15-21, 04:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Yeah but now I *have* to do it just because I know it'll really, really bug old Bill.

But seriously, yeah, I like to tinker, I got the tools a long time ago when I first got the bike and want to take a look. If it looks obvious that it's in solid shape, spins smoothly and isn't as easily re-lubable as the one in the video I'll measure it, make note of the model and put it back in.

I re-lubed the brand-new Shimano hub I just put in with my new 36H rim because the transparent factory lube seemed sparse. Prior to that I cleaned and re-lubed the original rear and front bearings - they had factory lube but it was getting gray which means metal particles. I've also cleaned and lubed my aftermarket pedals - a couple of times. Used Park PL-1 for all of it.
Shimano hubs and most pedals are different. Almost all Shimano hubs are meant to be rebuilt. Some aftermarket pedals are meant to be rebuilt (but don’t need to be all that often). Others pedals use cartridge bearing and don’t need to be rebuilt not really serviced.

Most anything with a cartridge bearing doesn’t need service. Ride it until it seizes and replace the cartridge. The interval between replacement of the bearings is going to be a very long time. All of my bikes (all 10 of them) have cartridge bearings in the hubs, headsets, and bottom bracket. I have seldom had a cartridge bearing fail. The Chris King above is one of maybe 5 bearings that I’ve had to replace or service in 25 to 30 years of using cartridge bearings.

I like to tinker as well but I’d rather upgrade the components of the bike over doing maintenance…especially maintenance for no reason…on my bikes. You have other threads about wheel building. That’s kind of the ultimate tinkering. Build wheels for your bike if you are unfortunate to have only one. Build winter wheels and summer wheels and wheels for your relatives. Become the zucchini guy of wheels. Build them and leave them on neighbors porches.

Or, better yet, find a co-op where you can tinker on other peoples’ bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: