Thread: Jones H-Bar 2.5
View Single Post
Old 10-16-21, 09:38 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman
For me, Jones bars don’t offer a position like being on the hoods on a drop bar, but of course they do offer various other positions. If you want that, you could try SQLab’s Innerbarends, https://sqlab-usa.com/collections/innerbarends, which mount inside the shift and brake levers on MTB bars. On my MTB, I have these on Salsa Bend Deluxe bars (23° sweep), and it does feel pretty close to riding on the hoods.
Yes, I agree inner bar ends can be a good solution, and I run a pair of the SQ Lab 411s on one of my bikes, too:

In fact, I like them so much, I wanted to add them to my drop bar gravel bike, mainly because I like being in a narrow tuck on the tops when riding straight, smooth roads. Also, even though I got 44cm wide bars, the hood stance seems unusually wide, uncomfortably wide, so the Innerbarends would kill two birds, so to speak. Attracted by the super low weight and easy installation of the 411R carbon fiber versions, I ordered them up without thinking of the clamp size, and they’re too small to fit the innermost 31.8mm diameter as well as too small to fit further outboard at the taper. Big fail. They’re going back to SQ Lab.

I’m not in love with the looks or weight of Rose Bike’s Spirgrips inner bar ends, but they will fit my bars, so I may give them a go. But man, having to accept them at over 100g compared to the 40g SQ Labs kinda hurts…
Likes For chaadster: