Old 10-22-21, 12:14 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've never had a tube or tire failure that wasn't attributable to operator error, puncture, road hazards, or equipment mismatch.

My errand bike came with rims that seem slightly undersized, making most tires fit loosely. If I'm not careful to ensure the bead seats properly during inflation the tube will sneak out and rupture. So far that's always occurred indoors shortly after installing the tire. Switching the rear wheel resolved that issue. Now I need to replace the front. Or switch to tighter fitting tires, such as the notoriously tight Continental Ultra Sport II.

One of my latex tubes seemed to have a thin spot, the equivalent to an aneurysm, when partially test inflating it to check for punctures. It would probably hold within the confines of a tire. But I retired that tube after two punctures anyway, since the second hole was at the base of the valve stem and difficult to patch properly. I'll cut it up to use as patches for other latex tubes.

We don't have any mountains here, and no downhills steep enough to require more than occasionally touching the brakes if it's a group ride and others are slowing. No risk of overheating.
That pretty well covers it!