Old 10-24-21, 09:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Directly from your link. Construction stretch is taken out of the equation by pre stretching, not to mention at installation during adjustment. Yes, construction stretch is a thing but typically doesn't play into shifting issues after a proper installation.
FWIW I've installed enough new cables to know readjustment is needed sometime after a cable is installed, whether that's from things bedding in, taking up initial construction stretch,or other factors.

​​​​​​

Structural Stretch

Structural stretch is the lengthening of the lay in the construction of cable and wire rope as the individual wires adjust under load. Structural stretch in Loos and Company products is less than 1% of the total cable length. This form of stretch can be completely removed by applying a cable or wire rope prestretching operation prior to shipment.
The Bethlehem Elevator Rope site gives values for construction stretch of prestretched cables. I also think the “completely removed” statement may be application dependent. If you are running miles of cable of thick cable, a little bit of left over construction stretch may not matter much. For a bicycle application, the system can deal with the small amount of elastic stretch. But even a small amount of construction stretch can initially throw off the precision of index shifting. I’m not saying that the construction stretch is all that much but it is there and it is enough to require new cables to be adjusted after the initial stretch is gone.

One thing I’ve taken to doing is to run through several shifts without pedaling on a new inner cable install. I’ve found this goes a long way towards getting rid of the need to make big adjustments down the line.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!