View Single Post
Old 10-31-21, 11:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138
I've never had a leather saddle before but I picked up a Schwinn super sport today that had a Brooks professional saddle. Is this salvageable? I'd like to try riding with it. Seems sturdy enough and in spite of the cracks on the surface it doesn't seem to have any cracks that go all the way through it or anything.

A bit rough but It shouldn’t need much. Get some Proofide and smear it on the top and bottom. Let it sit for a while (overnight would be enough). Maybe apply some more and then ride. Apply Proofide about once a year.

Don’t think if Proofide as being a softener nor should you apply anything that softens the leather. Proofide helps preserve the leather and acts as a little bit of waterproofing…but only a little. If you ride in the rain or leave the bike out in the rain, cover the saddle with a Brooks cover or a plastic bag. Try not to ride it if it is wet.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: