Old 11-01-21, 05:43 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK. View Post
Let me preface this by saying I'm 62 years old. I have been working on bikes since the mechanics in the bike shop close to my house would let me hang out when I was 10 and hand them tools and be otherwise annoying. I live in a small East Texas town. Closest bike shop is an hour away. I go there if I am close and need something, otherwise I order parts online. I was in that town today so I stopped in because I needed some cable and housing. I walked in and asked for a mtb brake cable and a full length piece of housing. The guy was pretty condescending telling me every bike is different and he needs to know exactly how long to cut the housing. I told him it's for a rear disc brake and the housing is full length so to cut me 5 feet. That seemed to annoy him so I said just cut it the length of the cable (knowing full well that there would be some left over). He blew and shook his head in frustration and I turned and started looking at the bike tools (ironic) thinking he was getting the housing. I heard him talking on the phone and mentioning housing. A minute later he gets my attention and asks me if I was bringing the bike in for installation. I told him that I would be installing it myself. He then picked up the cable and told me that I cannot install it myself, they had to do the install per company policy. ??? I know this shop changed hands recently and like to give them business when I am in the area but this is the last time I will give them business. Anyone else ever seen anything this absurd from a bike shop? Sorry for the rant.
I've never had anyone not sell me cable or housing. Could be a newb associate not knowing how these things work. I've had shop personnel ask me clarifying questions to make sure I got the right thing (which I appreciate, I sometimes get things wrong), but the only outright refusal I have gotten was when I asked a local mountain bike suspension guy if he would recharge the nitrogen on my motorcycle shock. He declined since he hadn't completed the full rebuild himself, but that's a safety issue that I totally understood after he put it in that light. The PSI can be in the hundreds and having a shock blow up on you could be dangerous.

If you still want to patronize the shop and you care enough, then I would send them an email to them to verify that is actually their policy. Their response will tell you whether or not it's worth continuing to patronize them.
Likes For tricky: