Old 11-01-21, 09:40 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Might be more a vent, but as I’m fairly new to cycling I’d appreciate hearing member’s thoughts on bell ringing to let people know you’re passing. I ring it on a case-by-case basis (if there’s a large speed differential, if I know we’re approaching a section where people often cross lanes, kids, etc.) but had a fairly unpleasant experience today.

Was on a shared bike/pedestrian path and there was a couple ahead. More leisure cyclists, both appeared to be in their fifties, and cycling single file with about 5m between them. Path doing a few twists when I came up on her rear and I free wheeled and coasted behind for about ten seconds. She heard my pawls/freehub (pretty loud on my bike) and looked back so knew I was there and that I would be passing. As we came around the last corner the path was clear for 100m ahead so I moved far right and passed her. As I did she called to her partner “bike passing” and I passed him shortly afterwards. He shouted after me, “know that bell on your bike? ******g use it”.

Totally unnecessary (in my opinion) and I returned to remonstrate, explaining that his partner knew I was there, had called to him, we were only doing about 10kmh and I passed a good 2m on his right. I actually felt I’d been more than polite, giving her space and waiting until I could be absolutely certain it was safe to pass.

I’m passed frequently by other cyclists on bike paths, at 30kmh plus, and rarely, if ever, does anybody ring their bell. I do if I’ve noticed a cyclist not keeping religiously left, but usually don’t if there’s good space to pass.

And conversely I passed a female cyclist on a bike path commute and knew we were coming to a section cyclists often cross both lanes to drop onto the road so rang my bell, once, as I was passing only for her to shout something after me (I don’t know what, to be honest, but she didn’t sound happy). I often find it an irritation when every bike rings their bell at me when, as a pedestrian, I always keep left.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I imagine most people will ring on a case by case basis, and will be grown up enough to know that we’re not all going to agree on when that is so won’t hurl abuse after fellow cyclists, but just wondered if there is a consensus/etiquette. If the community thinks I should have rang my bell, even in that specific example, then I’ll have to ring literally when I pass everybody.

p.s. I’m in Australia, so we cycle/drive on the left.
i live in the us. I don’t have a bell on any of my bikes. Where i live, we have lots of multiple use trails (MUTs?). Using a bell on those trails is met about as much love as laying on the car horn in snarled rush hour traffic. What works very well for me is simply saying “hello”. Most people will either turn, move to one side or the other, or wave. All these tell me where i can safely pass. Most people that i pass like this actually thank me. In the case of no reaction, it simply says to me slow down, be patient, and keep up the friendly “hello”. It works.
Likes For WinterCommuter: