Old 11-09-21, 12:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
The only advice I've read is to not use anything with sulfur in it, as that can degrade the metals (don't know if sulfur typically exists in chain oils).
Sounds like you've been spending too much time around car guys.

Yeah, in a transmission where brass synchros are meshing under high pressure, sulfur can be a concern, but I wouldn't give it a second thought here. The small amounts of oil used during wheelbuilding or truing don't hang around for long.

And I wouldn't put any stock in the musical notes of spokes. That middle-C only applies to a specific spoke gauge, length, and tension. That goes out the window right away if you change any of the variables. Plucking the spokes is useful, but only to gauge the relative tensions between two spokes. If you can hear that one spoke plays a lower note than another, you can tell it has less tension. Early in a wheel build, some spokes will have enough tension to play a tone while others still go "plunk" so it's a good time to even them out.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-09-21 at 12:24 AM.