jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
The 29mm Brush Hone will work fine.

Several things I recommend:

1. Clean all the gunk out of the seat tube first. I use an old coat hanger with the end bent into a flattened loop. Thread a piece on rag into the loop, dip it into some kind of solvent that wont hurt the paint and use it like a cleaning rod on a shotgun. Turn the bike so that the seat tube is level with the ground or pointing downward so that gunk doesn't get into the bottom bracket.

2. Remove the seatpost clamp bolt and check to see if the slot is parallel not squished in at the top like this one. If it is squeezed in take a large screwdriver or other kind of wedge and GENTLY pry the "ears" of the seat open to round it out a little. You can do this from the top or rear being careful not to damage the paint.

3. Take a small smooth file and remove any burrs or rough spots inside the seat tube. You can also gently file a very slight bevel around the opening.

4. Take some tape and wrap it around the outside of the seat tube opening so that the Brush Hone doesn't damage the paint as it's going in and out of the seat tube.

5. Compress the brush by hand as you're inserting it into the seat tube. Once it's fully in you can turn on the drill and feed it up and down being careful not to let the abrasive coated balls get out of the seat tube while it's running.

6. Clean out the seat tube afterward with a solvent soaked rag on the coat hanger to clean out the grit and junk. You can try fitting the seatpost in a little bit so you can tell how much more material you need to remove.

7. Lastly. take some sandpaper and clean off the bottom of the seatpost to remove any burrs that might have been kicked up when you tried to force it in. THEN take a glop of grease and spread it around the inside of the seat tube as far down as you can reach with your fingers. Smear some on the seat post and voilą your set with an easy to adjust seatpost that shouldn't get stuck!

If I haven't been riding for a while, I usually lower my seat 1/4" to 3/8" and then gradually fine tune the height. That's why having an easily adjusted seatpost is worthwhile.

verktyg
Thanks for the great tips.
I don't really have any solvent, will WD40 work or should I buy something else?