Old 11-11-21, 09:30 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
here we get into the "in a perfect world vs reality" thing, wild camping included.
I'm sure most of us here are respectful, mature people, who when we need to , or choose to, wild camp, we leave no trace and no one knows we have done it.
The reality is that is a densely populated area, the last thing anyone wants to see is garbage and human kaka and toilet paper left strewn around, which unfortunately, people do.

there are a lot of clueless, don't give a rats arse about this sort of thing people in the world, heck I even see it regularly with toilet paper scattered around areas that are an obvious good pee place.
Derail here to talk about random camping in Canada.
There has been a lot of controversy the last couple of years about about random camping in the foothills of the Rockies, especially the Municipal District of Bighorn which is located NW of Calgary.
My experience there is that the beautiful places to camp are covered with human excrement. It is really quite disheartening. Rather belatedly they are trying to control the use of the area with fees and porta potties.

I am sure most of us on this forum are capable of camping in such a manner that nobody would ever know we have been there. Its definitely not true of everybody.

I can totally understand why a small densely populated country like the Netherlands would not want people wild camping. Out of respect for the country and its people I would not wild camp even though i know how to do it and leave no trace.

I think it is a great country for a cycle trip, but please respect the land and its people.
Likes For skookum: