Old 11-15-21, 12:56 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: 87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, 79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 196 Posts
Easy way to check potential 650B tire clearance: put a small temporary mark like a small piece of tape on chainstays and fork legs opposite the 700C braking surfaces. That radial distance, ~310mm, happens to be the radius for the maximum width of a typical 650Bx38 or 42, so easy to check lateral width at that radius. You should have at least 3mm of lateral clearance on both sides of a tire. Not all tires measure their specified width, BTW.

Do you know your brake reach? That’s the distance from the brake caliper mounting bolt center to the center of the braking surface.

I’m pretty sure your 510 takes “standard reach” nutted brakes (47-57mm), but you should confirm. FWIW, my red Marinoni can use either short or standard reach calipers, and that may be true for your 510, at least on the rear. There are several online sources for Tektro nutted dual pivots that will greatly improve your braking performance, including Velo Orange, an excellent resource for those of C&V persuasion. Your levers appear to be good ones. The info here is valuable, although VO may no longer carry them.

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/200...ed-brakes.html

Simply switching to KS salmons on your existing calipers will help, but dual pivots are a true game changer. Dual pivots allow full braking from the hoods, while single pivots only develop that much performance when you’re squeezing form the drops.

Many of us think the salmon KS provide noticeably better braking in all conditions. No, they aren’t restricted to wet riding, and they last a very long time. I get several thousand miles out of each pair. Can’t remember the last time I did NOT use KS salmons, even replacing new black pads on new calipers at installation.

Nice to contemplate other frames in your cycling future (This IS C&V after all, home of N+1!), but you’ve made any excellent choice with this 510. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear that it continues to be your favorite ride even when you’ve got others.

Last edited by Dfrost; 11-15-21 at 12:59 AM.
Likes For Dfrost: