View Single Post
Old 11-15-21, 06:58 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata drop bar conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(purchased new), '88 GT Tequesta(purchased new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 drop bar conv

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
thanks for the suggestion, my ace hardware has one that goes to 1", but its around $60 including Tax. If all else fails, I will try it though.
While I'm a good customer of my local Ace..for the last 30 years...you can buy step bits on amazon for $15-$25. Some are low quality(though some good brands are there too)..you're drilling out soft aluminum, slightly more challenging for a bit than a good hardwood. Actually a cheap bit might be a plus as you'd like it to stop cutting when it hits steel.

Seems like a good method as long as the starter hole is centered. I had a bike shop remove a stuck post years ago. While they got it out and only charged me $100(3+ hours they futzed with it), someone used a sawzall at some point and sliced a small (3/8ths inch) slit-hole in the seat tube. Small, but definitely there once the paint chipped off enough to see it. No idea if they knew they did it. It wasn't visible initially as it didn't come through the paint. Ended up giving the bike(a very nice bike..) to the son of a good friend. An added "decal" electrical tape pinstripe around the seat tube and good to go. He's 26 and starting an adult cycling habit. He loves the bike..so did I..