Old 11-16-21, 10:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
This reference says that Kevlar 29 and Kevlar 49 yarns shrink less than 0.1% at 212°F in water and 375°F in dry air. It may shrink but not by much at at far higher temperatures than when the rubber begins to soften (about 200°F).

I agree that the adhesive on the rim strip may soften but, again, that would be highly localized and would rapidly cool once the rim has passed the brake surface, in addition to being held in place by a lot of pressure.
I rode down Mt. Washington on a single. Tubulars. Blew the front. Mediocre tire, high pressure. (I didn't think to drop the pressure before I started down.) That rim was hot! Glue fully melted. I don't think that Velox tape would have been much different. The idea that significant localized cooling happens in the rim after it passes the brake shoe? Nah. And yes, based on what I saw I would fully expect the Velox to slide into the rim box on any modern rim. What would stop it?

Oh, the usual "good practice: of high speed then brake hard didn't work in those days on Mt. Washington. Very little of it was paved. 11% average grade, no level for almost 8 miles and dirt curves you didn't do fast. Most of us went up on light road wheels and tires and came down on the same. (Except for the annual time trial when they wouldn't allow you to ride down).