View Single Post
Old 11-16-21, 07:24 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 573 Posts
Can't afford right now. No time, no money. As a PhD student-worker in the life sciences, I make less than a living wage and work 60+ hours a week, with no expectation of paid time off. I was very lucky, and got a lot of favors from a lot of friends in order to get that Herse, but that was my big flex. There's not so much left in the tank, and a lot going on behind the scenes. I have to think smaller.

For now, I learn by doing. This is faster and cheaper than remaking the frame, or attempting to communicate exactly what I want a framebuilder to do, then waiting for a queue, then being upset when it's wrong because I'm a bad communicator (or I want something the framebuilder just *won't do*). Besides, I can use the machine shop here at my institution to make things easier.

I am happy to report that none of the frame failures I've had are anyplace I have brazed anything to anything else. And making the fork was encouraging and confidence-building. I am lucky enough to have Doug Fattic give me pointers on the forums now and again. I'm eternally grateful for his recommendations to switch to a better silver flux, and to flick the torch away when adding filler.

Maybe when I'm retired in 40 years, if any classes still exist (and if retirement is still a thing) I will go for it.

Last edited by scarlson; 11-16-21 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For scarlson: