Old 11-17-21, 09:33 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3362 Post(s)
Liked 2,000 Times in 1,311 Posts
The OP might try to figure out how/why the non sealant tubes went flat before doing anything more. Are the flats from a puncture (glass/thorns), an impact during riding (snake bite), pinching during install, poor pressure levels allowing the tire/tube to want to spin on the rim (cocked and cut valve stems), poor valve base fit WRT the rim and tire's internal width, tires with cuts or damaged casings or other reasons. Non sealant tubes generally don't self cut or fail with no outside issues. If that/those issues are not dealt with the OP likely will suffer a life of flats happening far sooner then the masses of riders usually have.

Sealant filled tubes are well known for their trying to plug holes. But sealants are not "smart" they don't differentiate between a purposeful hole (the valve) and one that isn't wanted (the poke by a nail). Yet the rider often can't see their choice of buying that sealanted tube as being a shade of grey. "I spent good money for better tubes and I expect them to work" often being the mind set (and this expectation is found with so many other situations we spend our money on) Further, the sealants I have read up on have a service life of their own, often a year. So if one were to want max sealant capacity one would be replacing those tubes annually. My last issue with sealant filled tubes is that the hole plugging ability drops off quickly as the hole size increases. We have seen a number of flats with sealant filled tubes because the rider never removed the offending object and that object continued to poke the tube. Of course the sealant will try to plug the new hole and will until the hole(s) become so large that the sealant can't. How many people examine their tires for road crap stuck in them? How often. If you don't notice the slight initial pressure loss or see the slight bit of sealant oozing out of the tire then that object's being stuck in the tire will go unfound. Andy