View Single Post
Old 11-18-21, 11:17 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
E-bike front lights

Hello, I don’t have an e-bike but I do have a dynohub and Forumslader electrical converter for my regular bike. This takes the A/C input from the hub, charges a large 3x18650 battery pack, and outputs USB and (more relevant for this thread) 12V at up to 5A for a front light.

I’m looking for front 12V lights that have a nicely-controlled beam pattern, lots of light output, and a pulse/strobe mode. Pulse/strobe is non-negotiable, most of my rides are daylight in strong dappled light under trees, and in city traffic, and this is what works for me. I’m currently using a Light & Motion Nip 800 but it’s just a simple floodlight with no beam pattern, half the output going up in the trees, and not quite bright enough for when I do end up riding after dark (more and more this time of year). Its low power pulse mode in daylight has been working well though.

It seems the German regulations (stvzo?) that govern bike beam patterns also prohibit any pulse/flash mode, so there seems to be a hole in the market (I’m in the USA where there are no rules lol).

So far I’ve only found Light & Motion’s Seca 1800, some B&M IQ-X variants (with no pulse modes), and tons of eBay lights of unknown quality. Looking for any other pointers or reviews you all can give, thanks