View Single Post
Old 11-18-21, 06:34 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Here are some details of the fork wiring.
I have a DynoJack courtesy of southpawboston , wired to feed from the dynamo. The fender (and thus the front and rear lights) plug into one socket. The other socket is open for me to plug in a phone charger, which I'm going to put in my handlebar bag. This makes things modular, so I can plug and unplug parts whenever I want to disassemble.

Everything grounds to the frame and fork, including the SON SL hub, which I modified using safety wire, ŕ la Peter Weigle. This allows me to only have to run one wire. Also, I can ground the cell phone charger through the decaleur, making connection all the more quick and easy.

The fork has an internal conduit I brazed in place with the right blade. You can see the bottom end of it here. Apologies for the long wire wrapped around the rack. I have not decided on final wiring plans yet, so it's good to leave it a little long for now. When it's all set in place, I will wire it directly in with minimal extra wire.

I also built up an extralight 650b wheelset out of Pacenti Brevet rims and a SON SL widebody front, and American Classic MTB 225 rear hub. Probably saved a pound and a half over Ambrosio Keba/Shimano. Same spokes, Sapim Force. I don't faff around with spokes. Triple butted is the correct way.

Last edited by scarlson; 11-18-21 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For scarlson: