Old 11-19-21, 06:00 PM
Chuck M 
Butted Hi-Tensile

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 370 Posts
None of my bikes are rare enough or collectible enough that it would be a great transgression to use something modern on. But I like keeping them equipped as one may have expected to find them used in the day. I have a modern bike with STIs, hydraulic discs, 11 speed cassette, a Garmin Edge, Bontrager illumination, thru axels, clipless pedals and I love all of that on that bike. I will use a Garmin watch though when I ride an older bike and depending on where I ride it I may use some simple clip on lights for visibility. But I also love the contrast of riding one of my older bikes against newer tech. The geometry, friction shifting, managing rim brakes in the rain and the compliments people give me on my bike make riding riding them more fun for me. In fact I often find myself reaching for the down tube to shift when I'm riding my modern bike.

And while I don't give a rodent's sphincter what one does with their own bike, I also agree with what degan posted above, I don't think I would be happy with something looking like a Frankenbike. And while it is off topic, I wish people would pick something for their fixed gear and single speed conversions that they didn't have to cut brazed on shifter bosses off of.

Likes For Chuck M: