Old 11-21-21, 12:19 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2889 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
…for “Eroica” events. I would love to try to do an event on a vintage road bike with 2x6 or 2x7 friction (or allowable down tube index) shifting.

But as a 59 year old with quite a history of foot pain issues associated with bad cycling shoes, I can never see myself running quill pedals with toe clips and straps. I mean, not only is this tech dated - for me it is ergonomically too inefficient the way that the cleated shoe sole would sit too high above the pedal axle…. If I absolutely was required to dispense with my SPD-R’s Dura Ace 9100 road clipless pedals because some Eroica ruling said clips & straps only: I would at least try to do a fresh bearing rebuild on my Shimano DD pedals. But then the there would be a need to acquire some quality euro size 46.5 old-school wooden soled Duegi type cycling shoes with bolt on cleats. Could anybody post a link to some quality modern cycling shoes that would actually be comfortable over a 100+ mile day + still use toe clips & straps.
For Cino, I outfitted my bike with a 2 x 6 drivetrain with downtube friction shifters. A few times I struggled to find the right gear (and had too short of a chain to achieve big-big) but overall it was fine. For pedals, I went with new V-O flat pedals with no clips or straps. I have several bikes, some old, some new, with flat pedals and don’t have a problem with slippage. I rode clips and straps for many years and never found them comfortable. I’m on SPDs for the non-vintage rides.
Likes For nlerner: