View Single Post
Old 11-22-21, 08:51 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
mine don't have replaceable batteries. I have good battery life but I also have multiple units. so when one dies I just use another that I carry w/ me. kind of like carrying an extra battery, I guess. if you can change batteries, why us an external power source, instead of carrying extra batteries? just curious
I've found the battery life to be very dependent on the outside temperature. On hot days, it goes dead much sooner that on a cooler day. Where the cameras are mounted, it's impossible to see the display, so I never know how much battery is left. And, should the battery go dead mid-ride, all the video files are corrupted somehow, and you can't review them.

With my external packs, the cameras run off those and can last up to 3 hours. At that point, the internal battery kicks in for another 45 minutes to an hour, depending on temp. If I know my ride is going to be longer than that, I do carry extra batteries.

Ideally, someone will come up with a GoPro remote app that can be downloaded to my Garmin 1030+, allowing me to turn the cameras on/off and start/stop recording via BT. GoPro has a remote unit (I have one) but it's not reliable, and keeps losing BT connection to the cameras. I gave up trying to use it on rides. Plus, I could just use my Di2 buttons to scroll to the screen on the Garmin when I needed to, instead of fishing in my pocket for the remote, which has no method of attaching a lanyard. The mount cradle you can buy for it doesn't work on aero bars, either (ask me how I know this.)