Thread: I stink
View Single Post
Old 11-22-21, 11:34 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
When washing my cloths I found that a good full second rinse helps allot. Modern day washers are designed to conserve water. If you look closely at your modern day washer cycle you will notice that the level of water in your rinse cycle is at a bare minimum to take the soap out. The soap has the oils and sweat locked into it. My solution was to go for not just a second rinse but a full wash cycle to get all the soap out.

I start the wash cycle with soap. After the wash cycle starts I wait a few minutes for the soap to do its stuff, about 3 min of churning. I then drain and spin then start again with a full wash cycle. This has been the only way for me to get all the soap out of my clothing without beating my cloths to death.

Synthetic clothing that has elastic and can be extra hard to clean because the relaxed spandex traps the oils and sweat. The problem is if you use stronger detergents or bleach you kill the elastic fibers too. If this is the problem then hand washing the item in a solution of BORAX and gently stretching the clothing to get the solution deep into the material will do the job.

Here's another one. Had a guy leave his kit outside on the lawn chair to air out after a ride. It was promptly nailed by a male cat then followed by his dog who actually tried to bury it afterwards... Ha. Anyway, he could not get the cat smell out. He finally soaked the items in a dish pan with 1/4 cup solution of Enzymatic Cat Urine treatment. He said it worked excellently and he also uses it for the inside of his salt water fishing shoes.