View Single Post
Old 11-22-21, 02:12 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson View Post
Can't afford right now. No time, no money. As a PhD student-worker in the life sciences, I make less than a living wage and work 60+ hours a week, with no expectation of paid time off. I was very lucky, and got a lot of favors from a lot of friends in order to get that Herse, but that was my big flex. There's not so much left in the tank, and a lot going on behind the scenes. I have to think smaller.

For now, I learn by doing. This is faster and cheaper than remaking the frame, or attempting to communicate exactly what I want a framebuilder to do, then waiting for a queue, then being upset when it's wrong because I'm a bad communicator (or I want something the framebuilder just *won't do*). Besides, I can use the machine shop here at my institution to make things easier.

I am happy to report that none of the frame failures I've had are anyplace I have brazed anything to anything else. And making the fork was encouraging and confidence-building. I am lucky enough to have Doug Fattic give me pointers on the forums now and again. I'm eternally grateful for his recommendations to switch to a better silver flux, and to flick the torch away when adding filler.

Maybe when I'm retired in 40 years, if any classes still exist (and if retirement is still a thing) I will go for it.
Speaking of PhD students and Doug Fattic, if you haven't run across the Two Serious Bikes blog before, I highly recommend that you pay a visit. The author has long since stopped posting and moved on into academia and more "grown-up" pursuits, but the blog is still there. Probably best to start from the beginning and read through it chronologically. Adam Hammond (the author) built some of the coolest bikes I've ever seen, anywhere.
Likes For lonesomesteve: