Old 12-02-21, 01:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 1,425 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by martl View Post
nice find

Taalking about silly early computers, i always loved the Ciclomaster II "Alti". As the name implies, it had an altimeter function. This was not done by measuring air pressure, as is common now, but worked in a mechanical way, where the *position* of some sort of pendulum was measured electronically,. elevation and climb rate were calculated based on measured speed and inclination.
I never had one but i'm told it did not work as precise as one would imagine

In the defense of whoever designed this, pendulums were/are not all that rare as a means of measuring slope. I used to deal with inclination sensors in my job, and was familiar with the current technology. In fact, I found an inclination sensor on the road while riding once! It must have fallen off a Klaus combine (a piece of farm equipment), and it used a pendulum in an oil bath. The oil just slowed the pendulum and made it less sensitive to mild vibration, bumps, etc. The pendulum was connected to a potentiometer, which provided a voltage that changed with the slope angle. Nothing fancy or expensive, but it did the job, more or less.

These have largely been replaced by solid state accelerometers that are fairly small and cheap. Surprisingly, GPS receivers seem to be cheap enough and accurate enough that most modern devices just keep track of their X, Y, and Z position, and can track the elevation gain by simple addition and subtraction.

Steve in Peoria