View Single Post
Old 12-03-21, 06:37 AM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6459 Post(s)
Liked 6,120 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood View Post
I live in Perth. There's some pretty major and smooth sailing paths going all across the city

I find that below 30kph no one is really riding hard or fast enough to draft so it doesn't matter
On the flip side, if I'm holding down 35-40kph and someone jumps on my wheel, then they're generally strong and experienced enough to also take pulls, and with a little nudge of the elbow I've had fun little pace lines going on many a commute

If you don't like someone on your wheel, either speed up and drop them, slow down so they pass you or start firing off snot rockets
Or tell them to stop. Or swerve side to side. Or......

There are US MUPs where I think it's reasonably safe, and if people know they have a "partner", it's ok. I have seen people doing this while essentially slaloming through pedestrians, which I think was clearly illegal and dangerous.

Ninja wheelsucking under any nonrace circumstance isn't just an etiquette violation, it's really dangerous. At a minimum, tell someone you're there.