Old 12-07-21, 09:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T-Lab X3

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 659 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna View Post
I'd argue that mech GRX can be considered somewhat future proof because it's still easy enough to find 10s speed Shimano stuff when we've been rolling on 11s for a while now. Future proof doesn't necessarily mean it's top of the line. I'm not trying to to be argumentative, just running through some of the thoughts I've been stewing on for a bit.

12s Shimano GRX hasnt been announced to my knowledge, and I want to go wide range 1x so Ultegra 8100 isn't really an option even when setting aside concerns of cost or availability.
I’m not sure I follow the logic of calling replacement parts “future-proof”. I rather consider future-proof to mean, particularly in the context of bicycle drivetrains, that a given component will work with new systems in the future. For example, if I wanted to move from an 11spd system to a 13spd system, is my hub future-proofed and will accept the necessary freehub? Will my derailleur and shifter be adaptible to the 2 extra gears, or will I need to replace those if I want to upgrade? I mean, you can still get Shimano 7spd freehub bodies, but they’re not gonna run even 22 year old 8spd cassettes, let alone the 12spd Shimano is on now.

And in regards to Shimano 12, I was referring to the fact that it’s here in Dura Ace and Ultegra, which is exactly why 11spd GRX is already out-of-date. The new semi-wireless Di2– let’s call it Di2E, the E for evolved, to use Shimano’s lingo— has made the wired Di2 obselete, and I’d wager that within 2 years we’ll have 12spd Di2E GRX, and fully wireless Dura Ace 13spd, like AXS, within 4 years.