View Single Post
Old 12-09-21, 08:32 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by gene99 View Post
Thanks.
I'm thinking I might need to hit the brakes on a couple of the turns - and that might be multiple times/laps.The shifters on my current bike are on the ends of the aero bars. I would feel a lot better if I had satellite shifters near the brake levers. It might not mean I'll go faster, but it would keep my blood pressure lower.
I did a Di2 upgrade on a road bike equipped with 105 components. It was worth it as the shifting is spectacular. I've had zero issues or maintenance in 4 years, BUT it's expensive, for a standard road group, near $1000, IF you can source the parts. It's also not as worth it if you cannot run cables internally (the external routing is butt ugly IMO), as well if you have a press-fit bottom bracket, you might need a shop to remove and re-install after you feed and install cables and the B junction. I did my own install, kept the 105 brakes, crank and BSA b-bracket, the crank was part of an 11 spd system so was compatible and I was using rim brakes. I could see having satellite shifters would be very useful on a tri bike, more useful than a road bike as you can shift when your hands are at the brakes.