Old 12-12-21, 06:11 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
John,
If the two of you are planning to start in St Jean Pied a Port be aware that that is a "special" starting point as a lot of people commence their Camino there (similar effects but more diluted in Pamplona & Burgos).
I found the atmosphere exhilarating after a month on the road. On a whim I aborted my plan to take the road to Roncevalles and instead lugged the bike up with the walkers. It's not something I'd recommend!
It's difficult to describe the emotion and the atmosphere but it was definitely a high point of my Camino (no pun intended). The walker's route down to Roncevalles is pretty much impossible for a loaded bike but there is a road nearby.
My suggestion would be to at the very least give yourself time in the morning to watch an amazing procession of people pass by. If "walking fit" consider doing the walk (or a part of it). There's no shortage of public transport that can carry your gear in either direction. There's an actual road (very steep) up some of the way so you could also ride part of the way up before it goes off road.
I had a similar experience in Pamplona - early morning coffee and pastries and watching the "new" pilgrims heading off.
It's not something we normally see on a bike tour.