Old 12-13-21, 07:02 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
Classic profile bars with short reach are almost impossible to come by. The easiest solution is to roll the brake levers up/back on the bars to reduce reach. Works like a charm and one can chop 1/2" easy off the reach, or more depending on where they started. Cinelli 64/Giro bars, certainly by the time they offered them in 26.0mm clamp, had incredibly steep ramps, which led to a shorter reach than normal (already pretty tidy IMO). It looked a little goofy to me and didn't work with the levers I was using, so I sent them along.
Almost impossible? Meaning they are out there, though?

I've had some of those Cinelli's and didn't like them. IIRC, the drips kinda cambered in a tad and felt awkward. I sold mine, too...relunctantly. They still looked nice and....you know....bling points

I hear you on the brake levers. It's not a great solution for me as I have tried that. By the time I get the levers up there I've completely compromised my ability to comfortably operate the brakes from the drops. I know....trade offs...lol! I

I have tried a few different levers for their length. Still no cigar. Short fingers, I guess, because I do wear a men's M size glove. I know also there are levers (ie. Tektro) with short reach for small hands. I haven't tried that because I've already invested in the rather nice levers I have. Not to sound difficult towards a solution, but I would have to sell them before acquiring anything else. And, there's other reasons I really like them....ie. nice flat transition riding on the hoods
Likes For thook: