Old 12-13-21, 08:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
Well, aside from the aforementioned Cinellis, which would qualify, I don't know, but I'm leaving the door open for others who know of other models. Cinelli 64s notwithstanding, from what I've seen and not seen, my inclination is heavily toward "There are really no short reach classic bend bars".
Lol...well, like I said, I'm probably searching for a unicorn. Perhaps I could revisit the Cinelli if I knew what the specs are on it. And, if it's in the range as you say, maybe I could tweak that camber on it. <<shhh!!>> (Pretty sure Bruce Gordon and Cunningham had done that) I did like how they looked. Just not how they felt.
I understand wanting to operate from both the hoods and the drops, as I do as well. I would start researching yourself and get ready for some trips down many rabbit holes. Specific problems need specific solutions (and/or compromises on certain things), and the burden to furnish those solutions is often on the person with the problem/situation. I'd take a real good run at all Nitto's offerings, ones sold both here and abroad. They don't list all they sell on their website, and neither does anyone else, but everywhere I turn I keep finding out more Nitto bar models I didn't think existed or were sold/available.
Actually, I've been researching this curiosity for some time now even before these larger frames I"m currently trying to outfit. That's how I'd come across the compact "noodle" B174 (as seen above) maybe two or three years ago. I'd have those already if I could even afford them. Someday maybe I can. I know the simplest solution here, though; is just get a short reach technomic...like 70mm. And, I did shoot for that on ebay about a month ago. The seller advertised it as 70mm, but turns out to be an 80mm. Trading that 80mm out with someone here on BF is on the table.

What bikes (aka photos) are they going on? Sometimes a different perspective can help get us to be ok with changing an element that we didn't want to on a bike. [This is not some hippy, deferential-to-a-fault, it's-all-good suggestion--sticking to principle is important and all too fleeting today, but if one is in a jam like this, something has to give]
The one I'm targeting at the moment is a '85 Super Le Tour with a 57cm top tube, so I'd really like the classic bar look for it. The other one, on the back burner, is a '93 Mongoose Cross Way hybrid/drop bar conversion and will likely get that Nitto B151 compact I'd mentioned above. It'd look better on there than the Schwinn, to me. Anyway, I'm 5'6 and long legged. So, I realize one aspect of the fit is iffy, but the other aspects work in getting the bars up to the saddle top level. Even a technomic is near maxed vertically. (32.5 in PBH and a toe dipper, at that)

These frames have been an ongoing back and forth since I've had them, so I'm not hard up for a handlebar being the fit solution. It's just one of those curiosities I keep coming back to and hadn't been willing to give up on. Like you with Nitto offerings, I'm sometimes surprised something's out there I didn't know existed. It's why I started the thread....reaching out after a few years of looking into it mostly on my own before "bothering" anyone with my obsession....lol!

ps. I'll check out the link you posted. And, I'll keep looking at Nitto's stuff, too. Thanks!!
pps. Yeah...pics. My only way to photograph is an old android. Not very good..meh