Old 12-14-21, 07:31 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
BTW, I think there's something to be said for a short stem and long-reach bars. Yes, it looks a bit goofy, or at least not very modern. But the longer ramps can give you a very comfortable position behind the hoods, assuming the bars don't have a weird shape that precludes it. And when you have chosen the right stem extension to put the hoods and drops in the right place, having the bar tops a little further back lets you sit up a little more when you want that. I'm really happy with the 80mm stem + B115 handlebars on my rando bike for those reasons.
Oh, I don't think it looks goofy to have a short stem. Maybe in the 50 or 60mm range it does. In that case, a rider does what it has to to get a good fit. Otoh, one could slide the seat forward a bit with or without a zero offset stem. My wife's Schwinn Mesa Runner has 60mm SR quill, but it's too short in height (for my needs) and it really does look like a stub.....although somehow it works aesthetically with her upright cruiser bars.
Likes For thook: