Old 12-14-21, 08:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
BTW, I think there's something to be said for a short stem and long-reach bars. Yes, it looks a bit goofy, or at least not very modern. But the longer ramps can give you a very comfortable position behind the hoods, assuming the bars don't have a weird shape that precludes it. And when you have chosen the right stem extension to put the hoods and drops in the right place, having the bar tops a little further back lets you sit up a little more when you want that. I'm really happy with the 80mm stem + B115 handlebars on my rando bike for those reasons.
Yes. And this is a benefit that has been largely lost by the shift to threadless steerer tubes and stiffer modern frames with shorter chain stays, higher BBs and more drop from saddle to stem.

You have to have short reach bars and shallow drop because of where the stem clamp ends up. Putting hoods and drops in the same places with a classic round bar means taller, closer stem clamp which can be a good climbing grip and a comfortable spot for easy riding time.

Otto
Likes For ofajen: