View Single Post
Old 12-17-21, 10:40 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986 View Post
Glad to hear that you're able to get it to shift to the 32T rear cog.

The chain rubbing at the pulley wheel while in the slackest combo is going to happen even if the chain is the correct length. If you have 50/34T, or similar chainrings, the short cage RD does not have the total take-up capacity (34) to maintain tension. You would need a GS version RD to increase the capacity. Staying out of the 11/12T while in the small chainring is advisable in any case.
Took the bike for a ride today. Shifting seemed accurate, no noise. However, when in low gears heard a clicking-rubbing sound from crank area. At home, on the stand, I could simulate the noise that seems to be from the chain engaging on the crank sprockets. The only difference from before is that I am using 11-32 Sram sprocket instead of the 11-30 Shimano, and the b screw is almost all the way in. I'm not sure in this clicking was happening before, but if it was it was not noticeable.
My rotor elliptical cranks have about 40000k on them so maybe the teeth are worn. I have a compact crank that I might try.
This mismatch setup gets me thinking whether I should convert this bike to 11-spd. I could just replace the 10-spd right shifter with an 11-spd and install the RD-6800 11 spd or would it make sense to replace both left and right shifters as a set?