Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Tried what?
Keto, as the name of the post suggests
What injury?
Not really pertinent to how well the experiment went, but I was rear ended and plowed under by a minivan. While stuck under the van I was dragged a 20-30 feet under while the driver contemplated whether she can flee while being blocked by the car in front. Luckily by wheel got jammed under and behind the front axle and and wheel well, and I wasn't "ran over". I had severe abrasions on my back end, image a male baboon during mating season, and was off the bike for over four months during which I gain a few pounds also.
What experimentation?
Trying Keto for weight loss as I indicated.
What double century and over ow many hours?
Total time was 13:09:37 and my Garmin recorded 196 miles and change, as well as another 1k+ of elevation gain but this is from Strava (I corrected to check on the elevation discrepancy but it took more). I had a Garmin 510 and forgot to change the base map before the event.

I've ridden a local double in 12 hours elapsed time, a 19.8 mph average, when I was maybe 58. I burned about 4000 calories and ate over 2000 calories of mostly carbs. That's how you ride far and fast. You have to eat a lot of very easily digestible carbs. I especially never eat "lunch" or anything as indigestible as a bean burrito. I'll take a Hostess Fruit Pie any day over that. My usual rest stop routine on rides of any length is 10-15 minutes every 50 miles.

6 UCAN bars isn't even 500 calories. I eat that much on a 50 mile ride. No wonder your performance was poor! I don't gain weight and have no metabolic issues. I've been riding like this for over 25 years.
I was 50 at the time. Forgot to mention I had two scoops of UCAN before ride start for breakfast. I typically don't need to eat on rides less than 3-4 hours ride and stick with regular meal time (not specific to the Keto diet experiment). In preparation for the double I did most of my Saturday rides fasted and a few stretching to the 5 hour mark before breaking fast. Bean burrito was what the event served for lunch. I normal don't eat lunch on day long rides (centuries, >6 hours) on my own or with the club but will part take on organized events. I arrived at the lunch stop much later than expected and ate, adjusting to a much longer day than planned. I figured I was ~2,500 calories short for the day so it wasn't something new or that big of a deal. For most of my life, I only eat one or two (very small lunch) meals a day until last 16+ years married to a three meals a day person.

Like I mention above, I forgot to change the base map on my Garmin 510 and at time I joined folks that knew the route but was slower than my liking. Honestly that was a blessing since I wasn't as prepared as I needed to be. The last 30 minutes was not fun: my legs had that funny feeling twitching signaling cramping was around the corner and I getting very thirsty (was out of water for the last 1.5+ hours).

Glad Keto works for you but it's not for me. While on Keto, I was never able to regain my pre-injury FTP and was 40w down. After dropping Keto, my FTP slowly recovered.