View Single Post
Old 12-19-21, 12:17 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Nice job! I really dig your choice of the Specialized pedals with the MKS cages and the 6206 crank!
Thanks! I absolutely LOVE this pedal/cage combo! By far the most comfortable setup I've ever had.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I have a 1984 610, and got rid of the original Helicomatic pair when I had the bike only two years. My main reason was that the rear ratchet was dead, not ratcheting and slipping, and even good shops were saying they had no idea what to do about it. I finally unloaded them to a gent in the East for the cost of shipping. Now I know there is (still out there?) Bob, I think the Freewheel Whisperer, who is very skilled and reliable. I would probably keep them, today, if the rims are in good condition. One benefit is for touring, if you need to field-replace a drive side rear spoke, you can do it pretty easily, without needing heavy freewheel-removal gear. And now we have pretty nice Paselas and Swift tires, in wire and folding bead variants.
I was initially worried about the Helicomatic since parts aren't readily available, but after buying the correct tool I was really impressed at how easy it is to remove. Definite bonus for road side repairs and kinda wish this system had caught on. I'm re-greasing the hubs and plan on keeping the wheels as back ups for my other 27" bikes