View Single Post
Old 12-26-21, 07:25 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
Breaking the buck

I'm not sure I'd call it wrenching... but it might be worth a smile to some-a-y'alls.

This relates to the beauty in post #4710 above, where among some other wrenching I thought I'd get another 100 miles out of a studded snow tire with the Folded Dollar trick, so I could start fresh with an old mountain bike next year and get some real snows.

Alas -- on the way to work last week, I heard an felt a rythmic thwack-thwack-thwack that turned out to be a growing bulge in the tire. Like so:

So it was not to be. Lucky me, the Michigan State bike store was well stocked with Schwalbes, though narrower than I'd like -- I bought a 40 mm Schwalbe studded snow tire. This actually fits my good commuter bike so I can ride on iffy days with only one snow tire and in the future... Anyway, I was too lazy to put it on at work. I figured I'd try to make it home on the old one, and I did. Barely.

Remember the financial crisis of 2008? It started with the Lehman collapse that "broke the dollar." (*) Looks like I just managed to do the same thing and broke clear through four layers of legal tender. I'm not complaining. These are Nokians, and they lasted fourteen Michigan winters. Worth Every Penny.

(*) https://www.investopedia.com/article...d-meltdown.asp