View Single Post
Old 12-26-21, 09:30 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
Keep us posted on the Mixte Grand Jubile.

I picked it up today, probably half the price it ought to have been, for a reason. It is indeed low mileage and mostly original. Everything checks the boxes, even has the suede saddle with minimal wear, but the rear wheel is a steel rim with a bolt-on Normandy high flange hub with Moto “M” capped bolts. I suspect it came off a Mirage of similar vintage.

There’s a bend in the drive side seat stay above the bridge that does show displacement of the stay at that spot. In a text the seller told me that it was his wife’s bike when new and she rode it a bit until she got chased by a dog and fell, which caused the dent. I imagine that’s when the wheel got replaced.

I went for it anyway because on a brief ride it tracked ok, and in the worst scenario the components value is higher than the price paid. And what beautiful components they are!

Such an elegant component…

Stronglight pattern has been my favorite for 50 years

Nervex mixte goodness. I have 2 other bikes with Nervex Pro lugs. This is the only one with two “prongs” at the center of the head tube, the others have the “fish tail”.

I have it tucked away in my upstate house for the time being. I’m already in a project to clean up a Falcon San Remo. When I get to it I’ll check the frame alignment carefully, and I have enough bits hanging around to replace the rear rim. If I need to swap in another hub I can, it’ll depend on how those old Normandys feel when I strip it down.

When I get to the overhaul I’ll post some photos in a new thread.