View Single Post
Old 12-31-21, 11:19 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Thanks Doug

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
sd, here is an idea that might work for you and others sometimes. My friend Tom (a now recently retired UPS driver) brought by this Schwinn to me to be refreshed. He sanded the whole frame lightly but throughly with very fine sandpaper to prepare the surface for clear coats. He didn't even have me spray some touch up black in areas of missing paint. When I sprayed the new final clears for him, I added an additive that cuts polyurethane's gloss. I think the final result is decent. It now has an its old/its new look.

btw, I haven't forgotten our correspondence about your Super Sport frame. I have to show Tom painting procedures now that he has retired. You're welcome to come too for a day or two. Toledo is an easy drive away from Niles on the Indiana Toll Road. I've got 2 yellow Super Sport bicycles that I usually keep in my spray booth to be out of my way unless I am painting. They were given for me to sell with the understanding the proceeds go towards our Ukraine Bicycle Project. I'm thinking they should be repainted when the bikes are overhauled. I could use some help with that. My only fear is that you and Tom will start talking about working at UPS and that might make me want to punch out my eardrums.

I
an old Chicago Schwinn with a new clear coat
Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on. I wouldn’t ever have enough bikes to invest in spray equipment, but learning would be of great interest. That Schwinn in black is a seldom seen color, and I understand the patina look too. I’m off to buy some 1500 grit paper and a better match of Testors. This old Super Sport is way past touch up stage and was bought from my co-op for parts. Too small for me too.

Interestingly, the chrome parts on 72 this bike were fantastic and helped me complete a time capsule restoration on another 73. I joke with my wife that I could repair bikes for money in my retirement and make tens of dollars.