Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Regarding the original, 15 year old question!

We bought two new gravel bike framesets last spring: a Litespeed Watia and a Lynskey GR300. Here's my take:

They cost close to the same, shipped (one had free shipping to my location, the other was not free, so that factors into the prices). The Litespeed did cost a couple hundred dollars more - shipped - but was also a bit lighter - both by spec and actual. So the price, I felt was a fair reflection: the slightly lighter frameset was slightly more expensive.

I'm not an expert on ti welds, but do have a 96 Lynskey-era Litespeed to compare. I have looked closely at the welds on both bikes, again with inexpert eyes. They both look perfect to me, equal to the '96. An expert might be more discerning, but they both look really nice.

There are some design differences. The Litespeed has some tube shaping and the rear dropouts and some other features are different. The stock fork is distinctively different - slimmer, kind of racier looking (but not significantly lighter according to my scale!). The Litespeed maybe a bit more eye catching than the Lynskey because of the tubes and fork, or maybe not.

We ordered both frames with the same sort of finish and etched graphics and they're very similar, if not identical, in quality and degree of visual obtrusiveness, or unobtrusiveness as the case may be.

They came with different BB standards - Lynskey BSA, Litespeed PF30. Both work fine (I use a screw together Wheels Manufacturing for the PF).

Lynskey has an integrated headset, Litespeed pressfit. Both are fine. But these might be deciders for some. I prefer threaded BB and regular press-fit type headset, but not enough to choose a bike based on that. If anything, the PF30 might be the only thing that I dislike enough to make a decision based on it. It all works fine.
Did you build up either frameset and ride them, or just hung them on the wall?