View Single Post
Old 01-09-22, 06:10 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I don't mean to be a good deed killer here but often the homeless steal many of the bikes and parts they have. It's a huge problem in my city and the police just seized a 20ft storage container down the block from me with about 25 bike frames and misc. parts plus a bunch of other stolen items. The thief is well known in the neighborhood for running a bike chop shop with other homeless and very difficult for the police to do anything about. I see this all over on my rides. I can't offer too many suggestions as to how to deal with the people that come to the co-op but if the same person keeps showing up with different bikes you might want to limit the amount of times they can use the shop. Also maybe requiring them to allow you to take a photo of them with their bikes might make them nervous if they are knowingly in possession of a stolen bike.
So this homeless person was pushing a 20ft shipping container around on a couple shopping carts?