BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Bicycle drag racing is an idea that comes around. Not always seriously, and sometimes just trolling the forum rats. I can't find the thread now but there was a guy a couple of years ago who had everyone going with the giant sprocket he'd bought and how fast it would make him.

You're going to accelerate slower and need more time to hit top speed just because a bike is geared higher than running. That's the whole point of having a bike. Running top speed must be limited by the power needed to flail the limbs around because an athlete on a bike can go faster. The hour record is more than 34 miles. That flying start 200 listed above works out to more than 49mph and that's got to be an immense gear ratio. Track bikes don't have shifters but I feel like a hypothetical drag racing bike ought to. How fast would those track sprinters with the giant quads go if they only had a centrifugal 2-speed like SRAM used to make?
Right on. Thats what I want to know. Those track bikes are geared for top speed not drag racing. I agree a hypothetical drag racing bike ought to have variable gears. I would say at least 2 maybe 3, preferrably gears that can be shifted under load at 33 meters, and 66 meters or if a two speed then at 50 meters. Maybe a 1.25 first and a 2.0 second and a 3.0 third gear.