View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 12:08 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 414 Posts
Since my classes were mentioned, I thought I better comment. My wife is going to retire this year so that means I will need to cut back on my teaching schedule. I'm way past the time when I could have retired. I usually do 5 three-week classes a year with one or two students in each class. I squeeze a painting class or two in there as well. I feel some obligation to continue teaching so the craft can maintain a high standard. I was very fortunate to go to Ellis Briggs in Yorkshire in 1975 to learn. Jack Briggs had plenty of time to show me and I worked along side Andrew the journeyman builder that allowed me to get my own experiences. I was a high school teacher at the time and my purpose for going was to bring the secrets back to the States to share them here. I taught my 1st class in a college setting in 1976 and have done it steadily since then. Over the years I've been able to refine the process. I expect every student to leave class with a professional quality frame. Sometimes I have to make up the difference for the less talented. I get a lot of students that have already taken another class somewhere else. I make zero effort to advertise and that weeds out the casuals. The most motivated seekers find me.

As a college and university trained teacher, I know what it takes for someone to catch on. Trying to cram everything into 2 weeks is usually too much. There is a huge amount of material to absorb. For example when students have come from 2-week classes, sometimes their former instructor(s) had to do some of the work to get them done on time. This can sometimes show in their lack of preparation to do it again. The most serious of my students go to the college campus in Ukraine where they stay 2 or 3 months making frames that we turn into bicycles for pastors. They are needed on the eastern front now. The 10 or so that have done that in the last 20 years have come back with some serious skills. My reason for mentioning all of this is that those that really want to get solid training should make plans before it is too late. I've got many that have expressed interest than I'll ever be able to teach. I don't know when I am going to stop but sundown is on the horizon. Probably before I want it to but it won't be immediately.