View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 12:54 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 572 Posts
@Doug Fattic , I am sad to hear that. I probably won't make it, given what my next few years of career as a new PhD look like. But, equally likely to only build for myself and close friends, anyway. You were very helpful in your advice to get away from the Harris white flux.

Do you have any pointers for me based on the photos? Is no unsolicited advice from you a good sign or a bad sign? I will re-iterate that I appreciate all your advice. Here's a close-up of what I did. Unfortunately it's a little blurry, but you can at least see the flux and the coloring of the steel. The flux is Gasflux type H "Black Flux." You can see how much I applied, looking at the previous photo of the headtube with only the top lug brazed. Not enough?

Too much heat, again? By accident, I got some metal to dull red. Never bright cherry.
I did feel around inside the vent-holes with a soldering pick and could feel an internal shoreline. I used about 3/4 troy ounce of silver on the two lugs together.

Last edited by scarlson; 01-12-22 at 12:59 AM.