Old 01-12-22, 03:43 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 161 Posts
Handlebar fitment concerns, diameter

As I was musing in another topic, on my 1974 Zeus track bike project, “It has been 45 years but I am pretty sure the bar and stem came to me together; I knew someone with a Favorit bike and was upgrading one component at a time and I bought these from him. I like the combination of steel and aluminum on the stem, to me it “looks right” on a track bike. Oddly, there is no raised center section on the bars and the stem really does not want to tighten down snug.” Well, between them appearing a bit bent and the clamp-down issue, perhaps I should replace the bars and keep the stem; I suspect I’ll have to hacksaw the bars to get them off. The micrometer reads the bar diameter at 23.7mm, and I’ve only found a couple of websites selling classically-shaped bars (I could use advice on sources) and not much below a center diameter of 25.4mm. Are there other sizes out there? If this is some odd Czech-only size perhaps the bar and stem both have to go… sad.