View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 08:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
If the biggest cog out back on that Salsa is a 28, a short-cage RD would prolly work just fine. If an old-school NR RD can handle a 28, why not a modern slant?

I think many people might think a long cage is needed to get all the gears, but really, who would use the smallest cogs out back with the smallest ring in front? Or big/big? Cross-chaining extremes would likely not work with this setup, but gear-smart riders know the limitations inherent in their drivetrains.

Every time I see a photo of a bike on the Forum in the big/big combination I wince a little and think "those components are going to have a shorter life than normal..."

Of course, YMMV.

DD
Well, the whole reason I started the thread was kind of in light of that. You can read all over the BF subforums about never using a short cage with a triple...or simply never exceed the total capacity. Which I get. There are inherent issues....one of them being potentially injurious. But, I never make big/big or small/small combo's. In fact, the '86 Ross Mt Hood I'm modeling after that white Salsa has had a weird issue since I've had it. I can only use the two largest cogs while on the the granny gear or the chain rubs the tail end of the FD cage. I dunno how to fix it. I've tried. I even went to using 46t outer ring instead of the original 48t so I could get the FD mounted lower. Helped a little. Anyway, point is, I can't make small/small combos before the chain rattle on the FD, anyway. So, I may just try using a short or medium cage cyclone RD on it. Curious to see if it will shift any snappier
Likes For thook: