View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 12:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
No one rides around in the big-big on purpose, but even smart people make mistakes sometimes. If you shift onto the big-big without meaning to and the chain is too short, you're going to break something, and maybe hurt yourself. A slack chain in the low-low combinations is not ideal, but it's not really a safety issue. I cheat that way all the time, but learned the hard way about making sure the chain can handle the big-big. Even though, you know, you're never going to use the big-big. Except maybe that one time.
+1 on this. I did a new build and did the chain a bit too small and too late to get another chain, but was excited to try the build.... so I went out knowing big/big did not work and was sure I would not go there.

Sure enough end of ride on a MUP and had to deal with uphill and combo of clueless adult, kid, animal and oncoming idiot on an electric fat tire bike, and slammed it into big/big without thinking.
Immediate stop, but was going so slow I was able to reach out, and grab lean on a fence and clipout. at speed it would not have been pretty
Likes For squirtdad: