View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 04:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3491 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Well, the whole reason I started the thread was kind of in light of that. You can read all over the BF subforums about never using a short cage with a triple...or simply never exceed the total capacity. Which I get. There are inherent issues....one of them being potentially injurious. But, I never make big/big or small/small combo's.
It's one of those things where it's fine if you know what you're doing. But sometimes we can tell a poster is in over their head and doesn't really appreciate derailleur capacity, or remembering not to use certain gear combinations, so the simplest and I'd argue most responsible thing is to say "no, don't do that."

Because I do club rides and long brevets that impair my cognitive abilities, I include myself in both the "clever" and "idiot" categories. Toward the end of a 1200k, I don't want to have to remember not to use the extreme gear positions, because that's when I'd accidentally shift into them and blow up my bike. So my drivetrains are set up so that any gear combination works (chain rubbing on the FD cage is non-fatal, so counts as "working" here.) If I need wide enough range, I'll suck it up and install a long-cage rear derailleur. My Deore 7-speed ones shift just fine.

One idea that comes to mind for squeezing more capacity out of a short-cage RD is to install larger pulleys. After all, that's how the big 3 are doing it. You might have to bend derailleur cage tabs out of the way -- or remove them entirely. (EDIT: in the long time it took me to compose this post, you already got to the larger pulleys idea. )
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 01-13-22 at 04:12 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott: